Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sharing History: The Barak Obama Inauguration





During my teaching career I have had many shared experiences with my students. I was in class the day one of my students was accidentally killed by his brother in a hunting accident. I was in class the a former school student that was helping coach basketball was found dead in her bed. I was in class the day of the space shuttle Columbia tragedy, and of course no one forgets September 11, 2001. These were, and still are defining moments in my teaching career. They also happen to be extremely sad events.

That is why this presidential inauguration was so wonderful. Regardless of your political leanings the simple fact that 45 years after MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech resonated throughout our country a African-American was elected President of the United States. There are so many sad shared experiences that I have with students that something this positive uplifts me.

I am quite aware that many of my , if not all, don't truly understand the incredible event that took place yesterday. At 39, I don't truly understand exactly what it means. I grew up during a much more tolerant time than those older than me. I watched the Cosby Show on television and listened to rap music in high school. I do know that my students will be able to look back at this event when they are older and will be glad they had this experience. It was wonderful to have a good shared experience with my students for a change.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did a great job on my picture!!!

Anonymous said...

the pictures were really awesome!

Anonymous said...

Wow did his brother kill his brother and what did he kill him with. That kid most feel very bad.

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic thought provoking post! Yes its one of those dates that I think will take on much more significance in the years to come. In New Zealand the celebrations were televised on state (free to air) tv which is the first time that that has ever happened. My Pacific students from 2008 certainly felt an affinity with Barak Obama and there seems a lot of goodwill towards him, partially with the Hawaiian connection. Fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Didn't the Columbia tragedy happen on a Saturday morning?